My group of friends and I use to join dance contests. We joined because we want people to see how good we are at dancing; how we make up with different unique steps. We don’t have a leader in our group, but instead, we are trying to help, and work with each other as a team. We encountered some issues and difficulties dealing with each other which lead us to embarrassment and failure.
Every year on February 28, it is a Fiesta day in our small village. In the daytime, people are on the streets sharing foods, going to neighbors’ houses to eat, and celebrating. They are having fun watching the parade and students dancing in the streets. My group and I usually begin rehearsing a week before the fiesta. On Fiesta day 2004, just before I came to America, we signed up for the dance contest. At that time I was busy filling out my papers for my visa and was often in Manila so I missed many of the rehearsals. My group was very mad at me for missing so much and for not knowing the steps of the dance. The night before the fiesta, I came back to our village to talk to them since I decided not to join the contest. “No! We are not dancing without you? We are not complete!” Fatima said.
“I don’t know the steps yet,” I replied.
“Why don’t you practice with us right now?” Michael asked.
“Alright, I’ll try my best.” I answered. I practice the dance with them, but I didn’t pay attention, and I was not serious about learning the steps. Plus I didn’t like their steps for this dance and I knew we wouldn’t make it to first place. My oldest sister told me that there were some good dancers coming for the big city to perform this Fiesta day. I was scared to lose. I knew we could win first place if we were serious, but I was tired and excited about my trip to the U.S.A. and I was being stubborn. But, we danced. I made some very serious mistakes and we lost. I had to admit to the group that I had not taken this dance serious and it was my fault that we did so badly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ouch! It really hurts to know you were the main problem. Then have to admit it too. I am proud of you for not blaming the others, but working hard to be the best is still a good goal. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDelete